Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Royals vs. gladiators

I usually try to avoid the "hype" when it comes to the media, however I must admit that I too was caught up in the whole royal wedding excitement. It was hard to look away from all the pomp and circumstance. The traditions and history that surrounded the whole event were enviable.

However the quickly replaced Kate and Will for the much darker news of Bin Laden's death left me feeling like I was a spectator at the long extinct (for good reason) gladiator games. I was quickly reminded by a friend of a quote (that may or may not be entirely MLK's words) but none the less helped me sort out my feelings about the most recent news.

‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" -- Martin Luther King, Jr

I am so grateful for the talents of those that can put into words the feelings that float around in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment